The decision on whether Caitlyn Jenner will face charges for a deadly car accident in February is now in the hands of Los Angeles County prosecutors.
The 65-year-old was involved in a multi-vehicle accident in February on California’s Pacific Coast Highway, which left one woman dead. The case, which could result in a misdemeanor manslaughter charge, was presented to prosecutors on Tuesday, the Los Angeles Times reports.
Det. Richard Curry of the L.A. County Sheriff’s Department told the Times last week that Jenner was driving at an unsafe speed when she rear-ended a 69-year-old woman’s Lexus, causing her to veer into oncoming traffic, which led to her death.
The charge carries a potential one-year jail sentence, but legal experts told theTimes that incarceration is unlikely for Jenner, who was not under the influence of drugs or alcohol while driving.
“Basically, anyone can get into this situation behind the wheel like Ms. Jenner. There is no drugs or alcohol involved. This is just unsafe driving,” former Los Angeles County prosecutor, Dmitry Gorin, told the paper.
Days after the accident, Jenner sent her condolences to the victim’s family in a released statement.
“My heartfelt and deepest sympathies go out to the family and loved ones, and to all of those who were involved or injured in this terrible accident,” the former Olympian said. “It is a devastating tragedy and I cannot pretend to imagine what this family is going through at this time.”
Jenner is being sued for wrongful death by the two adult stepchildren of Kim Howe, the woman who died in the accident. Another woman whose vehicle was hit in the accident is also suing Jenner for compensatory and punitive damages.
BY Naja Rayne