The Denver Broncos might soon be in the market for veteran backup quarterback, but Colin Kaepernick will not be on the list of players they would potentially call, general manager John Elway said Thursday.
“Colin had his chance to be here. We offered him a contract, he didn’t take it,” Elway said.
The Broncos tried to trade for Kaepernick in 2016, shortly after Peyton Manning announced his retirement. But in order to complete the trade with the 49ers, the Broncos wanted Kaepernick to accept a pay cut. The quarterback declined and returned to San Francisco for another season.
Kaepernick began his social justice protest the following 2016 preseason – he was spotted sitting during the national anthem for the first time during a game against the Broncos – and has been out of the league since opting out of his contract with the Niners in the 2017 offseason. Niners general manager later said the team would have cut Kaepernick had he not opted out.
Kaepernick has filed a collusion claim against the NFL, alleging that his prolonged unemployment is a direct result of his social justice activism and protests rather than a reflection of his on-field skill.
Elway was among the league executives to give a deposition, for which Kaepernick was present, earlier this year.
Elway said Thursday that in that deposition he spoke about the spring 2016 contract offer.
“I don’t know if I’m legally able to say this, but he’s had his chance to be here. He passed it,” Elway said.
The Broncos could add a veteran quarterback to back up Case Keenum before the regular season begins next month. Chad Kelly, a seventh-round pick in 2017 who missed all of his rookie year with injuries, has overtaken former first-round pick Paxton Lynch as the No. 2 quarterback, and the Broncos may want more insurance behind Keenum.