There are many things you might know about Chris Weitz, the famous director of the Twilight saga and American Pie. But what you surely didn’t know is that the mega creative director has been a longtime Ozomatli fan…which is why he specifically chose them for the main theme of his brand new film A Better Life.
From the get-go Weitz was determined to get the Los Angeles-based band to write a new song for the film. The director approached Ozomatli and invited them to for a screening. And so it was how the three-time Grammy winning band was called for this amazing assignment.
As soon as Ozomatli screened the movie, they knew they just had to get involved because it resonated so much with all of them. Most members of the band are children from Mexican immigrants and this allowed them to identify with the films main theme and communicate that through their song “Jardinero”.
The band members have stated that when the director approached them he specifically requested a song that was melancholy in flow and tempo and that could really represent the feeling of the movie, which by the way is very intense!
Weitz described Ozomatli as the “quintessential Angeleno band”.
On June 21st, a mere three days before the film opens, National Records is releasing the score of A Better Life, which was composed by four-time Oscar nominee Alexandre Desplat (Twilight: New Moon, The King’s Speech, Fantastic Mr. Fox).
Ozomatli by the way has kept incredibly busy lately and apparently Hollywood cannot get enough of them. The band is also getting ready for the release of theHappy Feet 2 video game, slated for an autumn 2011 opening. All of the music of the video game is from Ozomatli, so players will get a double shot of playing fun and amazing music all at the same time.
In addition to the film and video game, here are the summer tour dates forOzomatli so you can check them out at their best… LIVE!
· 06/19/2011 Sierra Nevada World Music Festival – Boonville, CA
· 06/22/2011 Red Hook Brooklyn – Brooklyn, NY
· 06/23/2011 Party In The Park – Rochester, NY
· 06/24/2011 Bottle & Cork – Dewey Beach, DE
· 06/25/2011 The Kennedy Center – Washington, DC
· 07/01/2011 Alameda County Fair – Pleasanton, CA
· 07/02/2011 Marin County Fair – San Rafael, CA
· 07/15/2011 Larmer Tree Festival – Salisbury, UK
· 07/30/2011 Open Borders – Thousand Oaks, CA
· 08/06/2011 311 Pow Wow Festival 2011 – Live Oak, Florida
· 08/20/2011 Taos Mountain Music Festival – Taos, NM
· 08/21/2011 Embarcadero Marina Park – San Diego, CA
· 09/04/2011 Moe Down Festival – Mohawk, New York
· 09/05/2011 SteelJam Festival 2011 – Bethlehem, PA
· 10/02/2011 Segerstrom Center for the Arts – Costa Mesa, CA
· 01/09/2012 Jam Cruise – Fort Lauderdale, FL