In his hit song Gimme Little Sign, ’90s pop star Peter Andre sings “if you don’t want me, don’t lead me on” and it appears that’s what the Australian public might have done.
Confidential can reveal the UK-based singer’s upcoming Australian Greatest Hits tour has been cancelled, with some in the industry blaming poor ticket sales.
Andre was supposed to hit the country in November to tour for the first time in 20 years but cancelled, with ticketing websites quoting “scheduling difficulties”.
However, Confidential understands that despite heavy promotion and publicity, the ticket sales weren’t as popular as his famous sixpack is and there has been no word, as yet, about rescheduled dates.
Meanwhile, Andre’s scheduled support act CDB still went ahead with their side shows last month.
Confidential initially broke news of Andre’s tour in May.
At the time, the 44-year-old vowed to get his trademark sixpack back for the tour.
“They hibernate from time to time and they are hibernating at the moment,” he said then.
“Coming back to do this tour, my friend asked if I was going to take my shirt off.
“I said ‘are you kidding, I’m 44’, then I said ‘OK then’. So I am basically getting my act together really. I feel OK, I train and everything but I am not what I looked like in my 20s.”
Andre moved to the UK to live in 1994, selling more than 20 million records with global hits including Gimme Little Sign, Get Down On It and Funky Junky. The singer was set to play Sydney’s Enmore Theatre on November 24.
“You just think maybe people have forgotten,” Andre told Confidential in May.
“There are so many incredible people out there that you just think people might not want to hear from me. I’ve been working on an album of that sort of stuff. It is a modern twist, a bit more like what Daft Punk or Maroon 5 do where they change it slightly.”
Confidential approached the promoter for comment, but did not hear back before going to print.
By Karlie Rutherford