With his murder charge still working its way through the courts, Suge Knight appeared in front of a judge on separate charges of robbery yesterday, stemming from an altercation with a photographer last year. However, proceedings were postponed to give Knight time to find new legal representation, yet again.
The court was told that Knight’s most recent attorney on this case had filed a motion saying that he no longer wished to represent the Death Row Records founder. Asked if he wanted new representation, Knight said that he did, and so he was given until 27 May to find someone willing to take the task on.
Knight also complained that he had been brought into the court chained to a wheelchair, after collapsing a number of times at recent court hearings. The former rap mogul insisted that he could walk, and was told by the judge that he would be allowed to in future.
In the robbery case, Knight and comedian Katt Williams are accused of taking a photographer’s camera outside a Beverly Hills studio last September. Knight was charged in February, after his arrest for a hit-and-run incident that left one man dead in January.
A preliminary hearing in that latter case is now set for Monday, where Knight will be represented by Matt Fletcher.
By Andy Malt