-WebMD Health Corp. (Nasdaq: WBMD), the leading source of health information, announced today the launch of the WebMD Pregnancy app, a free iPhone® app offering expectant moms WebMD’s physician-reviewed pregnancy information that is customizable to fit a woman’s unique pregnancy. The WebMD Pregnancy App is WebMD’s latest addition to its multi-screen platform approach which provides actionable health information when consumers want it most, enabling them to better manage their health. WebMD is the leader in mobile for health information, with WebMD’s mobile apps for consumers having been downloaded over 16 million times.1
From WebMD’s trusted health information and personalized multimedia content, to fun features including the digital Baby Belly Slideshow and the Pregnancy Journal, the WebMD Pregnancy app helps moms celebrate the milestones along their pregnancy journey, anytime, anywhere.
“Informed prenatal care is critical to helping support a healthy pregnancy as well as knowing what to expect as the body changes,” said Dr. Hansa Bhargava, WebMD pediatrician. “The WebMD Pregnancy app is the perfect combination of trusted medical information and fun, shareable content to assist expectant moms throughout their pregnancy.”
In a recent WebMD survey of moms and moms-to-be, more than 40% of respondents noted that since becoming pregnant, their use of mobile phones to search for information or share photos has increased.2 With the WebMD Pregnancy app, expectant moms can now easily share photos from their phone with the Baby Belly Slideshow and Pregnancy Journal throughout their pregnancy. Nearly 60% of the survey respondents typically use multiple pregnancy apps, either because no single app has had all of the preferred functions or because they differ in their functionality.3 The WebMD Pregnancy app offers what moms want, including updates on baby’s development, questions to ask at the next doctor’s visit, tracking of doctor’s appointments, and trusted health information.
The WebMD Pregnancy app’s interactive features and customizable tools and content enable expectant moms to have open and informative dialogue with their physicians as they prepare for their special day.
WebMD Pregnancy app features include:
- Customizable Content: The WebMD Pregnancy app delivers timely physician-reviewed content relevant to baby’s expected delivery date, even if the baby arrives after the due date. In addition, WebMD Pregnancy offers content specific to moms expecting twins, including checklists, questions to ask their doctor, and multimedia information. From educational visuals of baby’s development and mom’s changing body to articles for each week of her pregnancy, WebMD Pregnancy offers a personalized mobile companion for each mom’s unique pregnancy journey.
- Supporting Patient- Physician Communications:The WebMD Pregnancy app helps expectant moms make the most of their prenatal doctor visits, arming them with trusted pregnancy information in between and leading up to their appointments. The Ask My Doctor feature offers a list of common questions for each upcoming visit, as well as the ability to add personal questions or concerns. The lists are easily accessible on the iPhone during the visit and moms can also note their physician’s responses to each question. The lists can be reviewed later or shared by the mom via email.
- Personal Pregnancy Journal: Expectant moms can create a custom journal to chronicle the unforgettable moments. She can add photos of her sonogram, post videos of her baby shower, keep track of all the thoughts and feelings she experiences during her pregnancy and share her milestones with friends on Facebook.
- ‘Baby Belly’ Slideshow:Expectant moms can capture their pregnancy with a week-by-week slide show of their baby’s development and share it through email and Facebook with family and friends.
- Kick Counter:The Kick Counter offers expectant moms a simple way to track and monitor baby’s movement. Moms can share any concerns about baby’s activity with their doctor in-between visits or share their kick counts at their scheduled prenatal visits.
- Comprehensive Pregnancy Library: The Pregnancy 101 feature offers hundreds of doctor-reviewed articles, videos, slide shows, and quizzes via mobile to help prepare moms for every stage of pregnancy, anytime, anywhere. Topics include nutrition, exercise, labor and delivery, among others. The searchable library also provides specialized information for expectant fathers so that they are more prepared for their baby’s arrival. Articles include what to expect in labor and delivery and how a baby could change a couple’s relationship.
“With the continued success of the award-winning WebMD Baby app for iPhone, we are excited to offer the WebMD Pregnancy app, empowering expecting moms to make health decisions anytime, anywhere throughout their most important life stages,” said Todd Zander, vice president of Mobile and Emerging Media for WebMD. “The WebMD Pregnancy app provides expectant moms with trusted information while allowing them to celebrate and share every day of their pregnancy utilizing simple, convenient, and enjoyable tools on her iPhone.”
For more information about the app, please visit: http://itunes.com/apps/webmdpregnancy.
WebMD Pregnancy Survey Methodology
WebMD conducted a national online survey of 865 participants, which consisted of three subdivisions of respondents: 1) Those who are currently pregnant; 2) Those who have been recently pregnant (within the last two years); 3) Those who plan to be pregnant within the next year. The survey ran in Feb. 7-15, 2013, across WebMD.com.
WebMD Health Corp. (NASDAQ: WBMD) is the leading provider of health information services, serving consumers, physicians, health care professionals, employers, and health plans through our public and private online portals, mobile platforms, and health-focused publications.
The WebMD Health Network includes WebMD Health, Medscape, MedicineNet, eMedicineHealth, RxList, theheart.org, Medscape Education, and other owned WebMD sites.
All statements contained in this press release, other than statements of historical fact, are forward-looking statements, including those regarding: our expectations concerning market opportunities and our ability to capitalize on them; and the benefits expected from new products or services. These statements speak only as of the date of this press release and are based on our current plans and expectations, and they involve risks and uncertainties that could cause actual future events or results to be different than those described in or implied by such forward-looking statements. These risks and uncertainties include those relating to: market acceptance of our products and services; relationships with customers and strategic partners; and changes in economic, political or regulatory conditions or other trends affecting the healthcare, Internet and information technology industries. Further information about these matters can be found in our Securities and Exchange Commission filings.
SOURCE WebMD Health Corp.