Oscars and Spirits and Razzies, oh my!
This weekend marked the end of a slightly more-exciting-than-usual awards season, with the Independent Spirit and Academy Awards handed out on consecutive days, broken up only by the bestowment of the annual Golden Raspberry Award nominations.
Just in case you missed all the big Oscar wins, the red carpet glamour, Sacha Baron Cohen powdering Ryan Seacrest‘s nose for him or Adam Sandler setting a Razzie record, don’t fret.
We’ve got the details on all that, plus scoop from the post-Oscar bashes and much more, right here!
• Oscar Gold: Hugo won five awards, as did The Artist, which capped off the night with wins for Best Director, Best Actor and Best Picture. Octavia Spencer and Christopher Plummer took home Oscars, as expected—but The Iron Lady star Meryl Streep surprisingly beat out The Help‘s Viola Davis for Best Actress. We also have all the bleepin’ scoop from backstage and our picks for the best and worst of the Billy Crystal-hosted telecast.
• Dusted: Sacha Baron Cohen made Oscar history before ever setting foot inside what used to be the Kodak Theatre when, dressed as his character from The Dictator, “accidentally” dumped his urn containing Kim Jong Il’s ashes (true story!) all over Ryan Seacrest. Could the general end up in front of a military tribunal for his actions?
• Too Low? And did Jennifer Lopez really suffer a wardrobe malfunction onstage? We get to the bottom of it.
• Box-Office Valor: Action flick Act of Valor took the top spot in this weekend’s box office with $24.7 million, followed by Tyler Perry’s Good Deeds at $16 million and Journey 2: The Mysterious Island at $13.5 million.
• Hitting the Town: Beyoncé and Jay-Z took baby Blue Ivy out on the town in New York City, toting their little one in a tightly wrapped blanket as they made their way to lunch at Sant Ambroeus restaurant in the Big Apple’s West Village Saturday.
• Missing in Action: Halle Berry had to cancel her scheduled Oscars appearance due to her pesky broken foot. The Academy Award-winning star was set to present with Tom Hanks during the awards show.
• Razzed: Adam Sandler set a not-so-flattering record this weekend when he racked up 11 nominations for the 32nd annual Golden Raspberry Awards for his work in flicks like Jack and Jill and Just Go With It.
• Silencing the Competition: The Artist rocked the 27th Annual Independent Spirit Awards, taking home nods for best feature, best director and best lead actor. While the flick’s Jean Dujardin won for acting along with My Week With Marilyn‘s Michelle Williams .
• Mysterious Investigation: Police have arrested and detained a suspect they believe assisted former Amazing Race freelance producer Jeff Rice and production assistant Kathryn Fuller with buying possibly deadly drugs in critical condition in Kampala City, Uganda.
• Speaking Out: Former Survivor producer Bruce Beresford-Redman broke his silence from behind bars in Mexico regarding the 2010 death of his wife in an interview with 48 Hours Mystery, saying, “I didn’t kill my wife.”