Two powerful singers made news this weekend—for two powerfully different reasons.
Whitney Houston was found dead in her Beverly Hilton hotel room Saturday afternoon on the eve of the Grammys, and we covered all the breaking news, as well as more on singer’s life and the aftermath of her shocking death.
On Sunday Adele made good on predictions and took home six awards from the show for her work on her 21 album; read on for that and our complete coverage of the Grammys.
And that’s just the beginning of the stories. Read on for more on all that and much, much more…
• Shocking Death: Whitney Houston passed away Saturday afternoon at the age of 48, just hours before she was scheduled to attend Clive Davis‘ annual pre-Grammy gala. Read our complete coverage on the breaking story, including what her famous friends had to say about the tragedy.
• Grammys Galore: As expected, Adele dominated the music awards telecast, picking up six awards, giving a dynamite performance of “Rollin’ in the Deep” and a tear-filled acceptance speech.
• U.K. Movie Madness: The Artist was the big winner at the BAFTAs this year, taking home awards for best director, screenplay, cinematography, music and costume design. The flick’s leading man, Jean Dujardin won leading actor, while Meryl Streep took home leading actress for the Iron Lady.
• Whitney’s Music Will Go On: Following her death, fans rushed to buy Houston’s music, boosting her “Greatest Hits” album to No. 1 on the ITunes chart and Amazon.com’s Best Sellers CD and MP3 charts, as well. Meanwhile, the Glee gang announced they might have a Houston tribute episode.
• New Romance: Scarlett Johansson and her new beau, 37-year-old ad exec Nate Naylor, were caught canoodling on a beach in Hawaii.
• Animals Injured: HBO came to the defense of its racetrack drama, Luck, after two horses on the show were injured and euthanized.
• New York Fashion Week: The Big Apple’s Fashion Week was in full effect, and packed with celebs (in spite of Grammy weekend taking place at the same time in Los Angeles).